Designer Babies – Public Discussion

For those of you within travelling distance of Cardiff you may be interested in a public discussion on ‘Designer Babies’ being held at Techniquest on Wednesday 21 March 2007 between 6.00 – 7.30pm. See flyer below for further details.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Designer Babies – Public Discussion

1. Robert says:

The last time I saw a similar talk at Techniquest, it was actually about screening for genetically transmitted conditions, mostly lethal, some merely high-risk, and the question whether it should be legal to screen for genes that increase cancer risks to 80%.

It was extremely interesting, and much less “designer baby” than I expected, and highly educational.

That said, I have no idea whether this is a similar topic or not

2. theagingfanboy says:

I can’t really see this being much of a problem. Genes make proteins. You can isolate that protein and put it into a bottle. There you are – 10g of musical ability. If you look at it that way you can see it’s really meaningless to talk about genes for musical ability, intellegence, social complience, or any other “single” abstract characteristic.
    If you want blond, blue-eyed children it’s a lot cheaper to buy some contact lenses and a bottle of peroxide.

3. theagingfanboy says:

I think you’re right Robert (sorry, that sounds terribly condescending), there’s two different subjects really. The doctors want to screen for really terrible genetic aflictions (often “not compatible with life” as they say) but public debate focuses on producing children who are natural-born Morris dancers or something.

4. Rachel says:

For those of you in cyber-space reading this blog who have little genetic knowledge, I can state categorically that the gene for Moriis-dancing has not yet been discovered!